MINISTRY OF ECONOMIC GROWTH AND JOB CREATION
The Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation (MEGJC) is charged with drafting the blueprint to drive economic growth and sustainable development in Jamaica.
The Ministry has responsibility for seven (7) critical portfolio areas.
They are: Land, Environment, Climate Change, Investment, Water and Wastewater, Housing and Works.
The Political Directorate of the Ministry is headed by the Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, O.N., M.P.
He is supported by two Ministers Without Portfolio.
- Hon. Dr. Horace Chang M.P.- Water, Housing and Works.
- Hon. Daryl Vaz M.P.- Land, The Environment, Climate Change and Investment
- Hon. C. Everald Warmington has been appointed Minister of State at the National Works Agency.
- The Executive Management team at the Ministry is headed by Permanent Secretary, Mrs. Audrey Sewell J.P.
- The team comprises the Director General, Dr. Sharon Crooks who is assigned to the Land, Environment, Climate Change and Investment portfolios.
- There are also two Chief Technical Directors.
- Lt. Col (Ret’d) Oral Khan provides support to the Director General in regard to the Land, Environment and Climate Change portfolios, and
- Mrs. Doreen Prendergast, who provides direct support to the Permanent Secretary, in regard to the Water, Housing and Works portfolios
Support in the Investment portfolio is provided to the Director General by Mr. Omar Chedda, who is the Director of Investment.
Under its portfolio areas, the Ministry has oversight for some 48 Agencies, Departments and Divisions, which are responsible for approximately 68 subject areas.
- Agro Investment Corporation
- Development Bank of Jamaica
- Factories Corporation of Jamaica
- Harmonization Limited
- IMF Coordination Unit
- Jamaica International Financial Services Authority
- Jamaica Promotions Corporation(JAMPRO)
- National Export-Import Bank of Jamaica ( EXIM Bank)
- Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ)
- Jamaica Business Development Corporation (JBDC)
- Self-Start Fund
- Micro Investment Development Agency (MIDA)
- Kingston Container Terminal
- Kingston Free Zone
- Montego Free Zone
- National Housing Trust (NHT)
- Port Authority of Jamaica (PAJ)
- Port Authority Management Services
- Statistical Institute of Jamaica (STATIN)
- Urban Development Corporation (UDC and its subsidiaries)
- Free Zone Council/SEZ Authority
- Land, Environment and Climate Change
- Land Administration and Management Programme (LAMP)
- Land Access for National Development (L.A.N.D) Project
- Land Development and Utilization Committee
- Land Divestment Advisory Committee
- National Land Agency
- National Spatial Data Management Division (NSDMD)
- Beach Control Authority
- Forestry Department
- Meteorological Services Division
- Climate Change Division
- Environment Risk Management Division
- Development Planning, Policy and Monitoring Division.
- National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA) which includes the National Resource and Conservation Authority (NRCA); Town Planning Department; Town & Country Planning Authority
- The Negril/Green Island Area Local Planning Authority (NIGALPA)
- Commission of Strata Corporations
- Jamaica Mortgage Bank (JMB)
- Housing Agency of Jamaica (HAJ)
- Real Estate Board (REB)
- Relocation of Human Settlements
- Rent Assessment Board
- National Water Commission (NWC)
- Rural Water Supply Limited (RWSL)
- Water Resources Authority (WRA)
- Central Wastewater Treatment Company (CWTC)
- National Irrigation Commission (NIC)
- Water Policy and Monitoring Division
- National Road Operating and Construction Company (NROCC)
- National Works Agency (NWA)
- Road Maintenance Fund (RMF)
Due to the restructuring, the Investment Unit at the former Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce, as well as the Works Policy Unit in the former Ministry of Transport, Works and Housing now fall under this Ministry.
We are currently in discussions with the Corporate Management Division of the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service to finalize the organizational structure for this Ministry, and will keep you abreast of any new developments.
The Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation is located at The Towers, 25 Dominica Drive, Kingston 5. Telephone 926-1590.